Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Saturday, July 16, 2011

So I got a rash. . .

I have been at Girl's Camp this week and came home with some bug bites. Yesterday afternoon I leaned down to scratch my leg and noticed some dark red spots underneath my skin. By the time Chris got home from work it had spread further. He looked at it and said that it looked like Petechia.
(defined: Petechia are small hemorrhages within the skin. These can occur with a bruising or crashing injury. They can also occur if there's sudden pressure inside the veins, such as when vomiting or coughing violently. When it occurs w/o explanation, it can mean there is a problem with clotting cells in your blood).
So anyways, it's usually nothing, but since I did not have an injury, Chris said the best thing to do would be to get blood work done just to make sure it wasn't a clot, low blood platelet count, Rocky Mountain Fever, etc. So I called the urgent care to see if they did blood work, and they do--until 4 pm. Since it was 6, the only place was the ER.
So I drove myself over the ER where everyone who looked at my leg just said "Ohhhh," with a semi disgusted expression. I think I provided the comic relief for the evening because the ladies next to me had real problems--gall stones at 24 weeks pregnant, and uncontrollable arm pain. But they told me the exact same thing that Chris did (I love my smart husband) and said it's probably nothing, but. . . .
I had to get an ultrasound done on both legs to check for clots. They put me in a wheelchair to take me there. I insisted I could walk, they pushed me anyways. Fun way to spend a Friday night. Luckily there were none. They did let me walk back to the ER. I appreciated that, it made me look not so invalid. And then I had to get an IV and bloodwork done. The IV was super painful, but the IV guy said it was probably the best IV I would ever have in my whole life. I am pretty sure he was lying. I did get caught up on all my Words With Friends games while I was sitting there though. Both the ultrasound guy and the IV guy looked at my leg and kept informing me that I had the most random rash they had ever seen. Thanks.
Fortunately, all my bloodwork came back normal, and they think I just had some sort of allergic reaction to whatever bit me.
I wish I could get this picture to get up closer it doesn't really do it justice.
And I got a super expensive personalized pink bracelet out the deal. High deductible insurance doesn't really work in your favor when you go to the ER!

No comments: