Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Friday, July 1, 2011

I went all Toddler and Tiara

Chris's first year of residency I decided it would be fun to make Kennedy and Spencer scrubs and have them dress up as doctors for Halloween. To this day, that picture is one of my all time favorites. I loved that they were dressed to copy their Dad and it is a fun memory of such a crazy time in our life.
Every year during Round Up week, Lehi has a cutest baby contest. To be honest, it's not really my thing. But I noticed that the theme this year was "When I Grow Up." I immediately thought back to 2004 when my 2 oldest looked so cute in their little scrubs and mentioned to my older kids that it would be fun to make Benson some. They thought this was an awesome idea and insisted that we enter Benson in the contest. So I whipped out some little scrubs out of T-shirts and we took Benson over. I immediately regretted it. Not that there is anything bad about the contest--just out of my comfort zone. We signed Benson in, got in line and then I proceeded to reassure Kennedy and Spencer who were very worried about Benson's competition, that it was just for fun, it didn't matter if he won, etc. I then stood in front of a table holding Benson and proceeded to have 2 police officers and a high school beauty queen jot stuff down. The whole time I was having guilty mom syndrome and wondering what subjective criteria were being used to judge my son. Were they writing things like "big eyes, cute smile," or were they writing things like "has ecxema, drools, doesn't make eye contact with police officer." I also had images of farmers when they purchase livestock and check out the teeth of the animal they are buying. The 30 seconds I stood there felt like 30 minutes. We then stood in a line for about 15 minutes so they could take his picture. To be honest, this was all I cared about. By the time his turn came he had thrown up not once, but more like 5 times--his cute little scrubs looked and smelled less than fresh. They announced the winners in the afternoon, and my sweet little guy didn't win. Some moms looked sad, but I felt this huge sense of relief. I was so glad the whole thing was done. I got my picture, and needless to say, my days of entering my children into contests that subjectively tell them whether or not they are the cutest are over.
But to be fair, the next day I was at the park and a random lady came up to me and said, word for word, "that is the cutest baby." I have to agree, and I definitely do not need a contest to tell me that!

The official contest picture:

2 comments:

The Gooding Family said...

I love your sense of humor~ cute post (and loved the title). I'd really like to see what baby beat Benson...not sure that's possible...it was probably rigged anyway. Ha!

tessa said...

He is so cute! And next time bring him to Steve we will say he wins and take better pictures:)