I would like to preface this by saying that Chris often tells me he needs a bumper sticker that says "My wife and my money go to Walmart." For as many reasons as I can't stand the place, it is true, I spend way too much time and money there. But where else can you get your oil changed, socks, goldfish (if you are in the market for goldfish--I am usually not, but hey the option is there), groceries, and flowers to plant in your garden all in the same place for the cheapest price (especially since they match ads from other stores.) Anyways, now that I have pointed out the perks, here is just one trip to explain why at the same time, I DESPISE the place!!
First of all, I went yesterday needing only 4 things, so I knew it could be fast (well as fast as you can with 3 kids in tow on a Saturday). So I went to the closer Walmart which if anyone around here knows the Lakeshore Walmart, the parking lot itself is enough to turn anyone away!! We got out of the car, and Spencer got a little tickle in his throat and could not stop coughing. Just as I turned to get a water bottle out of the car, he coughed so hard he threw up. Disgusting. My favorite part was him putting his hand in the air and saying that's okay mom, my cough is gone now!! At least it was in the parking lot! We get inside, pick up 2 of our 4 things and I turn around and Spencer is now MIA. So I started calling him, and couldn't find him. After about 2 min. I asked the lady working by the fabric if she had seen him since that's where we had been. She (without making eye contact) said no, and something to the effect of "oh you can't find your little boy, sometimes that happens, " and then went back to her business. Thanks for the help!! By this time I was in a panic and saw another worker who I asked if she had seen a little boy. Her response--just no. So I frantically asked her to page him, described what he was wearing and took off looking for him again. Did she page him--no, she just followed me. (Honestly there was a slight language barrier with the 2nd lady, so she might not have understood what I meant when I asked her to overhead page him). Finally after about 5 min. I found my teary eyed little boy walking through the bedding section. I was relieved, and so was Spencer. We got the rest of our stuff and went to go pay for it in one of those self check out lanes. As I was just finishing putting my stuff up, I realized I forgot something, and the kids and I proceeded to put our few things back in our cart. Both of my children were right next to me when the lady in front of me started to yell 'Excuse me" several times and very loudly at Spencer. He wasn't doing anything except standing there--I guess that was a problem. So I had him come closer to me and she continued to yell at him for putting ice-cream on the scanner. Well he must have been magic because his hands were clean, he was by me, and we did not have any ice-cream. I replied kindly, "maam, he did not do that, we do not have any ice-cream (I believe it was dripping from an item she had just scanned from the deli).", she kept yelling, "yes, he did." Again, "maam, his hands are clean, he did not do that." Again, she began accusing him. Finally, "maam, he did not do it, and I would appreciate it if you would stop accusing him." We then left. Spencer was oblivious and had no clue why he was being scolded by a stranger. Poor guy, he gets in trouble enough for things he actually does. But I will not tolerate him being accused of something he did not do. We got in a different line, where my apples were not scanning, so I asked the checkout lady for some help, she couldn't get to work, so she stood there waiting for me to do something (I am not sure what--finally I decided that we just wouldn't get the apples--I think that's what she was waiting for. Anyways, we made it out of Walmart, and I don't think Spencer was too scarred by any of the experience. However, I think next time, I will go to the Walmart that's a little further away--or maybe well just go to Target.
13 years ago
9 comments:
I also have a love/hate relationship with WalMart. If it wasn't for the ad matching and the fact that getting the kids in and out of the car a lot of times to go to different places is such a pain, I'd probably shop more somewhere else too!
Poor Spencer! It really infuriates me when people think they can just yell at your kids. If there's a problem, bring it to the parents attention and let it go. At least Specner wasn't bothered by it all.
Oh my word! What a nightmare...if I had a dollar for every time I've told Robbie that I wasn't going back there.
I definitely found myself going to the other Walmart there as often as possible. The one on 150, even though it is a little farther. My nightmare at Walmart last night with my three kids in tow as well, was that I left my wallet in the car and didn't realize it until all my stuff was scanned. What a pain! I'll join you on the love/hate relationship train.
I hate, hate, hate Walmart. Unless I'm in Price (and then only by default) I avoid it like the plague. I'd rather pay more, stop 10 places, or go without than step foot in Walmart! I come out of that place sooooo cranky that it's beyond worth it just to save a few bucks!
What a shopping trip! That is so funny - hopefully you can laugh at it by now....kids and shopping just don't go together so well, and walmart workers are oh so unhelpful!
It's SO true. Just getting out of the Lakeshore parking lot makes up for the drive to the 150. I kicked myself every single time I went to LS and eventually (after 6 yrs) learned my lesson:)
Hi, I am Bethany Hansen. I was a sister missionary the same time Chris was. I got your blog address from your Christmas card. What a cute family you have! Cute names for them also.
I just felt weird checking your site without saying hello.
By the way I am a Target lover too. We just moved and they do not have a Super Target, only a Target! Trama, drama, and all of the above. Have a good weekend!
I am glad someone else feels the need to blog about their Wal-Mart frustrations!
I hate Walmart too. I try to go to our "neighborhood walmart" just so I can stay sane because it's not as big as the other ones and not as crazy! I would have been ticked at that lady too!
Post a Comment