For the last year or so Kennedy has periodically asked to get her ears pierced. Me being the "I want my kids to be/look little as long as possible" mother that I am, have managed to change her mind multiple times. However, since Christmas, she has been begging. We finally came up with a plan.
When she got her braces off in January, she got a retainer. Getting her to want/remember to wear it was a difficult (make me want to pull her hair out) kind of process. So finally we told her that if she ever wanted to get her ears pierced (which require cleaning, taking care of etc.) she first needed to take care of her teeth. She had to go 1 month without being asked/reminded to wear her retainers. She also had to pay for it with her own money.
By her birthday in March the retainer month was up and I am happy to say we haven't had to remind her since. I really believe in the philosophy that if you do something for 21 days, you develop the habit. She also had saved enough money to pay for the ear piercings by her birthday. However, enter soccer. She played both indoor and outdoor soccer this spring and you cannot wear earrings while playing soccer. Since you have to leave your earrings in for 6-8 weeks when you get them pierced she has been patiently waiting for the season to end. Her last game was Saturday and she has been asking everyday since if we could go and get it done.
Today was the day. We got halfway there and I realized that I had left my camera at home. I am glad that my phone was able to get a few--although not high quality--pictures to document the process.
Nervously waiting with her hair pinned back:
The girl counted to 3 but did each ear on the count of 2
And She DID IT!!
She picked her March birthstone. And I being the same "want to keep my kids little forever" mom as mentioned previously, have already vetoed dangle earrings for a little while!!I wish I could keep my kiddos little forever but there is something fun and exciting about watching them grow up!
2 comments:
Looks good Kennedy! Congrats!!
Hooray for Kennedy!
Post a Comment