When Kennedy came home a few months ago and mentioned that she would like to run for student council, I was really excited, but also very nervous. This was our first real experience with true school activity competition. All of the kids who wanted to run had to write an essay, and then around 30 students were chosen by the Student Council advisors to campaign and do a 1 minute performance in front of the entire school (there are around 900 kids in our elementary school). Kennedy was ELATED to be part of this group. They wanted the kids to have a "theme" so we chose "Kennedy Foster will help make Meadow BRIGHT."
Their performance was supposed to relate to their theme, so she decided to do a glow stick figure dance. There were a few glitches--halfway through the performance the lights got turned on, and she had a slight wardrobe malfunction where her head fell off. The audience laughed super hard--I think they thought it was a choreographed part of the act.
We were told that only 10 kids would make it. Kennedy told me that if she didn't make it, she would probably just cry all summer. I seriously felt sick for a week. I want my kids to have every opportunity to participate in things, but I also realize that not everyone can participate in everything. I hate seeing my kids disappointed especially when they try something so far out of their comfort zone. I spent so much time praying that I would be able to help her cope if the outcome was negative. Chris and I were so proud of her for even trying--but kids don't see that--they just want to win. After the performances, the school voted. Kennedy was beyond elated when she came home from school because she MADE it!!! Tender mercies are real. I was relieved and beyond proud of her for trying something new and doing her best--and even more relieved that she wouldn't be crying all summer. I am so excited for her to have this opportunity next year.
2 comments:
great job, Kennedy! I'm so amazed at how she kept her composure during the mishaps.
Wow, what stage presence and was some meanie trying to sabotage her performance? B/c it didn't work. She was fab. Yay for Kennedy and yay for Mom!
Post a Comment