When Chris and I first got married, we bought this beauty. 

When Chris and I first got married, we bought this beautiful 1999 Saturn SL. It has no power anything, including steering. In fact I blame my lack of arm muscle after my 2 first children on the fact that I was no longer driving this car. Chris also taught me to master the art of stick shift by making me drive up and down my aunt and uncle's driveway for hours. I seriously didn't like him at the time for it. For the longest time, this was our only car, and then for another period, our only reliable car. The air conditioner officially stopped working in 2004--poor Chris had to endure the heat of AZ and the humidity of AL. However, the heat worked in the summer so that was a bonus, right?
For the longest time we thought we would buy a new car after residency, and then fellowship, and then a year after our 1st real job, but this old Saturn just kept going--and it was hard to justify replacing it's "paid for" status and the fact that it got like 45 miles to the gallon!
It's seats were stained after 4 babies, 4 cross country moves and thousands of cans of Diet Coke. The ceiling was caving in, the tail light was taped together, it did not smell awesome (the Scentsy travel tin did help!), the emergency brake occasionally fell apart, one window did not roll down, one door did not completely shut, but again we kept telling ourselves, "it's paid for" and "it works!" Our children fondly referred to it as "The Death Trap."

A few weeks ago, Chris took it into get the oil changed and they mentioned that the transmission had a leak in it, and then a week and a half ago, Chris was driving to the BYU game and smoke started coming out of the hood. It was obvious, it was time to replace it! So we said goodbye--I don't know if I should cheer or cry.
This is Chris flashing a gang sign as he cleaned it out to take it away. Goodbye old friend thanks for 12 years of memories!
1 comment:
Hooray for a new car! Can't wait to see what he gets. Lewis is waiting anxiously for that day...
Post a Comment