Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride"

When I was in high school in TN our school cafeteria had a juke box. It only played 3 songs. That Tracy Chapman song, "Give me one reason to stay here. . .", the Pinnochio read a long story book, complete with the ding when it was time to turn the page, and that Michael Wilder song from the 80s, "Aint nothing gonna break my stride, ain't nothing gonna pull me down, oh no, I've gotta to keep on movin'. . .". I feel like the last song would be an appropriate theme song for our dear son Spencer's life! Last year he had a double hernia surgery and was riding his bike 2 hours after we got home. The Doctor said he would be down for a few days. No such results. He also had a sweet bike crash that we thought might be worthy of an ER visit--ice cream at McDonald's did the trick. At his last few "well" check-ups I have been surprised to discover he had ear infections in one or both ears. And the trend continued with a fall off of the monkey bars in our backyard yesterday afternoon. He was upset for just a minute and then went about the rest of the night acting fine. We just brushed off the dirt, dried the tears and ate dinner. So this morning when he woke up and was using his left arm to life his right arm, I asked him if it hurt. He said yes, and I moved it around and he didn't really complain. So we had Chris look at it and he said that we better take him in to get an x-ray just to be safe. I gave him some IB profin and we went to the Pediatrician. When we got there I kept telling Spencer he needed to at least act like his arm hurt. Inside I was a little bit paranoid at the reaction I was going to get for being an over anxious parent for bringing in a perfectly healthy boy. The Dr. came in, rotated the heck out of his arm and hand, and S did not complain at all!! He pointed to where it hurt and the Dr. said since it was a pretty high fall, they would x-ray it. Good thing they did because it was broken!!! That boy has the highest pain tolerance of anyone I have ever met!! So anyways, they sent us to an orthapedist who said he only needed to be in a cast for 2 1/2 weeks because it's a pretty minor, and common, break for an active 4 year old. So we got the little blue cast on it and he still managed to run all over at Cub Scouts tonight, jump on the trampoline, and climb all over everything we own one handed! That boy is amazing I tell ya! He was also very excited that our friends the Bradfords brought him some chocolate pretzel "flipz" to remind him to be careful. So far I don't think he is heeding the warning--like I said, he needs a theme song!


7 comments:

Dena said...

He's lucky! When Jacob fell off the monkey bars at school he broke both bones in his forearm so that they were in a V and his arm looked like a U - it was disgusting! He too hardley complained, had stop crying by the time we were at urgent care and never cried again about it. All he needed was a little IBprofin and he was fine even though he had to wait the whole weekend to get it set under anesthesia (the Orthopedist did put a splint on it to get him through the weekend.) When the Dr. took off Jacob's cast there was still a tiny piece on the side of the larger bone that hadn't grown all the way back together yet. I was soooooo worried because, like Spencer, Jacob just can't slow down. Everything turned out fine, but it was really hard to look at until it got straightened out!

Good luck with cast! At least since it won't be on too long it shouldn't get too gross. Jacob's was pretty bad after 6 weeks! Stinky!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, he sounds like my boys! It may sound a little grotesque, but casts can be a cool thing to collect. We had 4 from last summer lined up on the shelf in their room and I found myself a little sad that I hadn't saved Luke's first cast from when he was 2. Take lots of fun cast pictures!

Jackie King said...

Spencer's the man! That boy can handle anything. You had such creative ideas for Kennedy's birthday party. The food looked so good, and the hats were too cute. Happy belated b-day to her and Chris. Oh and Tyler saids, "You're awesome!" (I think he secretly wants to have a tough, crazy, adventurous son like Spencer, but I don't know how you guys handle all the ER visits)

Mandy said...

Aren't boys AWESOME!?!?! I was just thinking today how I love having boys while Remy and Tate and a friend of Remy's spent 45 minutes throwing rocks into a hole...yah baby!

Nicole said...

Chris is that you? It is Nicole Rees , well Swant. Do you remember me? You know Becca's friend. Oh my goodness...you guys have the most beautiful kids. Your little Spencer looks just like you and your wife, what can I say you did good. Okay check out my blog. I am pretty new to this, but found your link in the Pederson's blog. I just couldn't resist taking a look and seeing how you guys are. Our blog is 7reesespeanutbuttercups.blogspot.com .Yes, there is 7 of us! If you guys want to know more e-mail me at rnicolerees@gmail.com. I have 4 boys and have yet to experience a broken bone..I know it will be coming to me one day. Kids are truely amazing aren't they! Talk to you guys later. Hey how is Tony?

Heather Tewalt said...

Mikelle, I am simply waiting for Sallie's first broken bone. And at only 8 months, Sawyer is not far behind at all. Crawling, pulling up, crusing around tables, and doing a fair job of keeping up with his sister. Email me your phone number, we'd like to come see y'all soon. We're up in Rainbow City.

Michelle said...

He is amazing! I'm glad you guys checked it out to be safe - how crazy! I hope it heals soon!