Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mobile and Mardi Gras


Last weekend we pulled our kids out of school and headed down to Mobile, AL--about 3 1/2 hours away. On Friday we went to Dauphin Island off the coast of Alabama with the intentions of hitting the beach--but we quickly realized it was way too cold!! So we went and checked out Ft. Gaines, a fort from the Civil War. We couldn't go inside because it was getting ready to close, but we had fun checking out the outside. The kids also had fun climbing all over the rocks in the bay. Once it started getting colder, we decided to get dinner. Spencer had been complaining that his stomach hurt--I attributed it to car sickness which is a BIG issue in our family. Looking back we also had had a bad Wendy's experience at lunch, so that could have contributed to the ill feeling also. Anyways we were sitting at the restaurant and he came and sat on my lap and drank his RED juice box. He said the dreaded, "I don't feel so good," and I headed back to the bathroom. I could feel the throw up coming and decided to take one for the team since we were walking past people at tables, eating, and pushed his head into my chest where he proceeded to throw up everything he had eaten that day, all over my shirt, hair, etc. It was a good thing I had layered my shirts that day because layer #1 ended up in the garbage. I got him cleaned up, we went back to the hotel, and he felt better as soon as he showered. Thank goodness!! Saturday morning we met up with our friends and went to the Mardi Gras parades in downtown Mobile. We are now the proud owners of hundreds of strings of beads, and lots of plastic prizes (well not so much anymore--I am not a saver!!) and moon pies!! The kids LOVED it!! After the parades we went to the USS Alabama Battleship. It was a super fast trip, but so very fun!

3 comments:

Dena said...

Sounds like a fun trip - minus the sickness. I really hate being thrown up on, but I guess every mom has experienced it at some point. Way to take one for the team!

Michelle said...

I'm sorry, but I'm sitting here laughing about your "take one for the team"-gross!!! Don't you just love being a mom!

Chris said...

Thats the difference between a mom and a dad I would have directed his head so as to have it land carefully on the floor and then left a hefty tip/carpet cleaning fee.