Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Sunday, August 30, 2009

On Food Storage

Just in case anyone was wondering, I don't think that Chris and I will EVER be asked to teach any classes that might involve food storage. Last week I bought 50 lb bags of rice and flour to fill some buckets in my pantry. I hate having the small bags and prefer having bigger containers that I refill less often. Anyways, I filled my buckets but only ended up using about 1/2 of each bag. We have a food sealer that we haven't used in forever so I decided to whip it out and just seal the rest in mylar bags. Chris was home and mentioned that if I put dry ice in the bags it would help keep it longer. I asked Chris how much I was supposed to put in and totally misinterpreted "a little". He was thinking quarter size, I was thinking 1/4 cup size. So anyways, Spencer and I were sealing the bags when we all of a sudden there was a loud bang. One of the bags exploded EVERYWHERE. I think it had about 12 cups of rice in it which doesn't sound like a lot, but it covered our entire downstairs!! It took about 4 hours to clean it up, and it's been almost a week and I am still cleaning it up. Note to self--do not use dry ice without getting explicit instructions again!!

Spencer holding the bag the way it should look
The way ours looked after it exploded
The kids had a blast with the rest of the dry ice--I refused to use it!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That is one of those things that are hilarious once they are over!

tessa said...

Had to pull Steve over to look at that one. We're laughing at your expense:)