Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Moving Nightmare!!!

Well, we have officially moved into our new house, and as goes our reputation over the last few months, it was quite the ordeal. We got into our house on Sunday and we prepared the best we could to move our stuff in on Monday. Chris’s schedule is super busy and he basically is home for 2 awake hours a night, so we broke down and hired movers. However, I wanted to do it as inexpensively as possible, so we moved everything in our apartment to the front room, and everything was in boxes. The movers got their, loaded the truck super fast and I was thinking, this is great!! So we drove over to our new house and I told them I wanted to unload everything in the garage because we are painting and getting the carpet replaced. Now if you look at our previous blog entry you will notice that you cannot see the garage from the front. It is behind the house and you have to make a pretty sharp turn in the car to get in. So they backed the truck into the driveway-which is fairly narrow, and instead of backing straight up, they decided to try and turn it back toward the garage to save themselves 2 feet of walking distance. Well they started turned and almost hit our house, so they decided to turn back down our driveway, and slipped off the edge with the whole truck. As you can tell from the pictures, they were about 4 feet from tipping into our neighbor’s house who was home inside with her 2 small children. The driver let out numerous explicitives—more concerned about his job that the fact that a 16,000 lb truck carrying everything I owned was about to tip into our neighbor’s house. I will spare most of the details and let the pictures speak for themselves, but it was seriously a nightmare!! Luckily my good friend Katie Bradford took Kennedy and Spencer and Russ Bradford provided good moral support!! They brought in 1 tow truck that could maybe tow a car, then they brought in a 2nd truck and it moved the cab a little, and then they brought in a 3rd gigantic tow truck that threw a strap over the moving truck to support it, and then attached itself to the truck and the 2nd tow truck and got it out. The whole ordeal took 4 hours, most of which I spent sobbing. Chris was at work but was shocked when he came how and saw just how bad it was!! But honestly we have decided there must have been at least 5 angels holding up that truck because there is no way that it should not have falled into my neighbor’s house. My poor neighbor had to call her husband home from work, and their yard is trashed. The moving company is supposed to be taking care of it, but they aren’t moving too quickly, so we are trying to sort all that out right now. Anyways, as if this whole move hasn’t been trying enough, this was the icing on the cake. But our stuff is all now in the garage, so far we haven’t seen any damage. But right now we are grateful that our prayers were answered and our neighbor’s house didn’t get damaged. It was seriously one of the scariest most terrifying moments of my life and the pictures don’t do the situation justice!! We are so lucky, it could have been SOOOO much worse, so we are feeling super grateful right now!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

My mouth was seriously hanging open the entire time I read that! I cannot believe those pictures! What a blessing that everything turned out OK!

Jackie B. said...

I seriously can not believe that. Moving is such the "adventure". Glad nothing too big happened.

Katie said...

We drove by to see the damage in person! Do you think your neighbors will become fast friends? I love your blog! If my mom saw it she would definitely ask why I can't be more like Mikelle!

Mandy said...

Wow! This is a story that will be told over and over again in the years to come! Glad those angels were there!

tessa said...

The Bradfords always step up:) We're in Cali and my whole extended family enjoyed your story and pictures over breakfast. Better take the neighbors some cookies and hire the Elder's Quorum next time.