I did make him reenact finding one of them for proof that we try to make birthdays fun around here!
All of the presents had balloons attached and before I knew it he had them all tied to his bed. He was super excited about them. (I would like to mention that having balloons for a birthday on Labor Day morning can prove to be tricky--especially when you are out of town until 9:00 the night before! We had to buy them Sat. morning and just hope they lasted through the weekend!).
And he wanted an Angry birds cake. (it only took a little convincing to have him choose something other than a Harry Potter cake 2 years in a row!)Our family may or may not watch a lot of cake shows. When Spencer decided he wanted an angry birds cake, he drew me a very elaborate design plan of how he wanted the cake to look. He also made the very specific request that the cake NOT be made out of fondant. He doesn't like the way it tastes. I am not a fondant pro anyways, but I was suddenly unclear of how I was going to make his cake. We hit up Pinterest for ideas, and when I saw that people had made cake pop angry birds I thought my problem was solved. So I made my cake balls, threw them in the freezer and then proceeded to go to every store around us that sells melting chocolates and they were ALL sold out of every color except red--they did not have the variety Spencer was looking for. I was at a local party store and saw their selection of flavored tootsie rolls and decided to give them a try, they were perfect. So much in fact, that Kennedy, Spencer, and even Addie were able to help and we spent 2 hours after school on Friday making them. So note to self, when kids are bored this winter, tootsie roll creations entertain for hours.
We are so lucky to have this "little" guy in our family! Happy 8th Birthday S-Dog! Our lives would be boring with out you!
4 comments:
So cute! They grow up fast! We love watching cake shows also.
OK you are so creative. My oldest has his birthday this weekend and I'm going to try the Angry Birds cake. Your family is darling.
What a special day and birthday!!!
Mikelle I seriously love your family's birthday traditions!! I might have to incorporate a few into my family...so inspiring! Love it! Happy Birthday to Spencer - can't believe he is 8! And that cake is amazing too - you are awesome :)
Post a Comment