Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley



I am sure that many of you already know the President Gordon B. Hinckley (President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), passed away last night. After I heard the news last night, I flipped on BYU tv and they were playing a video of his life. It was such a great reminder of what a wonderful life he led and how lucky we were to know him in our lifetime. I just love President Hinckley, and have so many great memories of him. When I was little, I remember he used to read the General Conference talks for other prophets who were too sick to read them on their own.
When I was 16 my family drove to New York to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant, and he was there the night that we went. We were standing right by him when they drove him past on his golf cart, and he waved to the crowd. I remember being in awe of his presence.
When we moved to UT my senior year of high school, I had the opportunity to go to General Conference in the tabernacle and hear him speak.
When I was at BYU, he came and spoke at a devotional each year. I think this was one of my favorite memories anyway. It was so neat to be in the Marriott Center and see the whole audience stand up in silence as the Prophet entered the room, and then sing "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet."
Anyways, I am sure that many of you have similar memories. I am so sad that he is no longer with us, but I am so happy that Kennedy and Spencer might remember him a little, and remember what a great and wonderful person that he was.

2 comments:

Dena said...

I have fond memories of Pres. Hinckley as well. He always had such a kind, loving way about him; using just the right amount of humor. I always loved hearing him speak and felt so motivated to be better afterward. I'm sure that he and Sis. Hinckley are so happy to be together again.

JohnMarenFlavs said...

It's funny because I have the same memory of President Hinckley going by in that golf cart at the Hill Cummorah Pagent.