Today I had a plan. We don't have a great bike riding neighborhood so I wanted to take the kids' bikes over to a path where they could ride hill-free. I did not. however, count on rain!! So in an effort to get the kids out of the house, we decided to go to the Art Museum--something we hadn't done before, and to pretend to teach our kids that we are a little "culturally aware" for lack of a better term.
Anyways, we couldn't take pictures inside the museum, so you'll just have to use your imagination to visualize our afternoon. After going through a kid friendly exhibit featuring Indians and how they lived, cooked, etc., we headed off to exhibits such as 17th Century England, Italy, Glass Exhibits, etc. Then we got to an American Landscape exhibit, and what portrait was blaring right at our impressionable children??--a gigantic naked lady. Chris managed to divert Spencer's curious eyes, but I wasn't quick enough to deter Kennedy's. She was shocked, in a giggly, 7 year old kind of way. I quickly tried to move her to the next room amid her what seemed to be very loud questions of why someone would paint a picture of a naked lady. I tried to explain that many artists consider the human body to be a form of "art", so they paint it--end of conversation, right? Wrong. A few minutes later we found Chris and Spencer in an area that had paper where you could draw your own "landscape." I noticed a mischievous look on Kennedy's face, and I knew exactly what she was doing. I informed her that she could not draw naked people in the art museum, and saw that "I got caught" smirk amidst a few giggles.
We continued on through the rest of the museum, and I thought for sure we had passed all of the naked art. But as we were exiting one of the last exhibits, what was the last painting we see, that's right folks, another gigantic naked lady!! Can a mom not get a little warning?? I totally understand that everyone has their own interpretation of art, and I probably should have expected it in an art museum, but for the love, I need them to post a warning sign before this kind of stuff!! Kennedy had the giggles for a good 20 minutes after this. So much for teaching them culture, I think I just exposed them to a side of life they aren't quite mature enough to handle!!
13 years ago
6 comments:
That's crazy! They really should put those kind of pictures somewhere that would allow parents to decide whether or not to bring their kids in. I think walking through the mall and seeing gigantic posters of women in under is bad enough. YIKES!
That's hilarious!!
that is great!! thanks for making me laugh tonight!!
Gotta love it. WE take our kids to something wholesome and educational and we still have to shield their eyes. Ahhhh. This parenting job is just getting tougher. But thanks for the good laugh!
You missed Botero's sculpture of a fat naked lady in the sculpture garden outside. There is a picture on this blog: http://birminghamalabamadailyphoto.blogspot.com/2008/08/chocolate-lady.html
Too funny!
Post a Comment