So anyways, on the way home from swimming lessons last night, we stopped by Krispy Kreme and the kids got a free doughnut because I voted, and then we came home and Kennedy set up her own "mock election" with ballots and all. I explained to the kids how a candidate was elected through the electoral college, and they diligently refreshed CNN.com while coloring maps of the US in red and blue to indicate which candidate won which state. As I type this, I realize it sounds a little nerdy, but it was seriously so rewarding as a parent to see the enthusiasm my kids showed. Anyways, I hope that one day when they are studying the Presidential Election of 2008, they will remember that last night, they witnessed history.



8 comments:
What a cool mom! Getting your kids to stay up late for what amounts to a political science field trip - and turning it into something fun!
I don't think it's nerdy at all....that's awesome you did that for your kids. That's cute how much they really got into it too...
Totally nerdy!!! :) Except for the Krispy Kreme thing...that was way cool! (sorry about the other deleted comment...I got mixed up)
I hope I can be so "nerdy" with my kids. Way to make learning fun!
You are such a great mom, Mikelle! What a great idea and fun way for your children to learn. I honestly get the best ideas from you-thanks!
You are awesome! And it's not nerdy at all! It's a shame that some people haven't voted in years when they should and could. Your kids will probably always vote and be excited to make their voices heard because of cool stuff like this that you are doing with them.
kudos for you and way to go!!
P.s. totally copyng your idea next election.
Post a Comment