Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Friday, December 5, 2008

Call Me a Grinch When It Comes to the "Elves"

Around Christmas time last year Kennedy came home from school one day and said, "Mom, I would like an elf." I was clueless, an elf? She told me all of the kids in her class at school had elves and she would like one too. She said that you write Santa a letter and ask him to send you one, and then he does. I called my friend Katie who explained the "elf phenomena" to me. Apparently some mom came up with the concept that an elf (a stuffed animal) comes to your house to make sure you are behaving for Santa. The elf also does "mischevious" things while you are away like spreads a few toys around. Normally I don't give into the "just because everyone else has one" concept, but I caved and last year my kids got elves. The longer the elves were with us, the more I began to loathe them. My kids were expecting them do do funny things, "hide", etc., and our bedtime routine was constantly delayed by Kennedy preparing plates of peppermints for the elves to eat during the night. Kennedy then would come home saying this boy's elf brought him this present, and this girl's elf, did this-expecting hers to do the same. Now I am a generally a lover of all things Christmas, but come on, isn't Santa enough? The elves "went home" with Santa on Christmas Eve, and I could not have been happier.
So anyways, last year I swore the elves would never come again. However, much to my chagrin, last week the elf conversations began to come up again. So and so's elf did this, their elf did this, this friend's elf brought them this huge gift (seriously, when did the elves start delivering gifts Dec. 1st?). Anyways, I have spent the last few days trying to convince Kennedy that the elves needed to visit someone else this year and that we didn't need them at our house this year. This has been very disappointing. I told her that maybe her elf could go visit someone who didn't have an elf last year. She quickly informed me that Santa had plenty of elves for everyone--apparently she is very knowledgeable in the workings of the North Pole. Anyways, after continual begging for the elves to return, I told her she needed to talk to Chris. So she did. He told her that she needed to talk to me. In a moment of weakness I told her she could write Santa tonight and ask for her elf to return. I admit, I caved--total lack of parental enforcement. So maybe I'll keep you up to date on our visitors--that is if they "remember" they are supposed to do stuff!!

9 comments:

Katie said...

We have pretty pathetic elves around here...they forget a lot. Sorry if my kids played a part in Kennedy's longing for an elf. I told them they weren't allowed to talk about it unless someone else brought it up, but I think she asked....oops! Enjoy the elves. I think Kennedy should get a new bike tonight and then maybe an i-pod tomorrow. That might make up for her elf being a bit tardy this year-I mean, c'mon! It's already the 6th!!!

Mikelle said...

Katie--totally not your kids. Apparently EVERYONE has an elf and she is the ONLY one who hasn't had their's come this year--my plan to avoid it failed!! Let's just hope her expectations do not go beyond the elves doing funny things because earlier she mentioned gifts that her friends elves brought and I made it quite clear that elves would not being doing that at our house-and I am NOT caving on that one!! I am just a mean mom I guess!

Mandy said...

Wow, I have never heard of this, must just be a southern thing...I hope. Good luck. Maybe the elves will help clean up when you are gone?!

Michelle said...

What a stroke of luck-my kids haven't mentioned this yet!

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

We used to have elfs as kids and I loved it. Being a mom now I can see how that would make me crazy. A friend just told me about the elf on the shelf. Have you heard of that? A little different. Just google elf on the shelf. It is an elf that comes with a story and rules (ones you can live by!) Anyway he sits somewhere in the house and watches over the kids. At night he reports back to Santa if they were good for the day. The next morning he is in a new spot to watch over everyone. No gifts, no messes, just watching to make sure everyone is good. I LOVE that idea, especially since my kids are off track for all of December. Good luck!

Tara H. said...

whoa, talk about pressure, Isn't it enough just to figure out the Santa thing, let alone throw an elf in there too. SHHH, don't tell any of the kids here, cause I know Will would want one too.
Good luck
xoxox

Dena said...

I've never even heard of those before. I think I'd be a grinch too. That's a lot more work in an already busy time. We had the house fairy come to our house to help the kids keep their rooms clean, but they pretty much stopped cleaning anyway and she's stopped coming. At least the elves are only for a month.

Dena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cameron and Cindy said...

Ha Ha Ha! I haven't heard of "the elves" either, but that is great! Good Luck! Just a few more weeks! Hope to see you soon!