Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Some days it just hits me. . .

. . . that time really does fly.
Turning 30 last August didn't bother me, but yesterday it hit me that next month I will have a 9 year old. How can that even be possible.
I remember being 9.
I remember trying to do my own hair to make it stylish.
I remember liking American girl dolls.
I remember being excited about little scraps of paper and ribbon to make a project with (heck, I still get excited about that!)
I remember randomly begging to get my ears pierced because everyone else was.
I remember being in 3rd grade--who my teacher was, who I sat by, taking timed math tests, and even doing my state of Utah project on Cache County.
Afterall, 9 wasn't that long ago.
Yesterday I went to parent teacher conferences. Kennedy is writing stories that are pages long, doing multiplication and division, and school and statewide testing. As her teacher gave her a glowing review I was filled with pride-but a little sad too. If Kennedy is almost 9 and you graduate when you are 18--she is halfway to college. I realize that the worry is a little premature, but if 9 years can pass so quickly, the next 9 probably aren't going to go any slower. I still have a hard time believing that it has been TEN years since I graduated from college!!
Last night I was working on my sewing machine and noticed the creases on the tops of my fingers are becoming more defined--even more so than just last year.
I remember comparing my hands to my mom's hands when I was younger and not having those creases--wasn't I just 9?
I guess I better take the time to enjoy my kids a little more because 9 years can go by pretty darn quick.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a fight to break up.
My almost 9 year old--she sews her own bedroom decor. A girl after my own heart.

5 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

I have the same thoughts as you Mikelle...it really needs to slow down huh!! Kennedy sounds so much like you...sounds like such a great girl!!
P.S. I was noticing my wrinkly hands the other day too!! :)

Dena said...

Just wait until you realize that this is the year she goes into YW! Maddy turns 12 in Sept. and I absolutely can't believe it! Where has all the time gone?

The Gooding Family said...

You stole the words right out of my mouth. I'll have a 10 year old and another getting baptized. Since when did all of this happen?!

Excuse me, I have to go wipe someone's nose...

tessa said...

Yep, 31 didn't bother me this year but Bri's baptism in April has me all misty and sentimental. Fun that your little girl is growing up to be like you.

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

You just took the words out of my mouth! I turned 33 last year and I am okay with that, BUT my oldest will be 10 this summer and I'm not handling that well at all. It is all going by WAY to fast!