Powered by Blogger.

Benson

Benson

Addie

Addie

Spencer

Spencer

Kennedy

Kennedy

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Creative Freedom

Spencer does not like going to church. We hear it on a regular basis. It's too boring and all you get to do is sit and stand. His clothes are too "jiggly" and they feel funny. Life is hard at 4 1/2. So to try and make going to church easier, I have given up the battle of forcing Spencer to wear what I would like to church and have started letting him pick out his own clothes. As much as this pains me as his OCD mother who would like all of her children to look neat and tidy and maybe even coordinating on occasion, it saves me some grief in the morning. Today his outfit of choice included camo ankle socks, his "skateboard" shoes, a church shirt buttoned all the way to his neck (with the matching sweater vest worn periodically) and some lovely blue gray cargo shorts. Let's hope that this "creative" phase will wear out before he hits 16.


On another note, Chris is working today. When Chris works on Sunday dinner is another "creative" thing at our house. Today it was frozen french toast stick with cool whip. Spencer informed me this was the greatest Sunday dinner ever. Kennedy would like it again for breakfast. Apparently prepackaged frozen breakfast food for dinner makes me the greatest mom ever. I never have to cook again!

7 comments:

Dena said...

Great updates! I don't think Spencer looked too bad. Maddy went through a "rainbow" phase when she was younger and never matched at all. She would even wear two different colored socks to get more colors into her outfit!

Nicole said...

I totally understand the OCD mom. I have the same problem. My Matthew had a fit when the weather turned warm and I changed his church outfit to something cooler. So, instead of the fight I took him to Old Navy and let him pick out his very own short sleeve button up shirt. That seemed to work. No complaints from him anymore! I have a friend that lets her girls pick out their own clothes all the time. They never match and I think it is so cute. (Of course I do, because it is not my own kids) :)

tessa said...

Another hit over here for "dinner". Eggos and ice cream and of course fruity pebbles.

JohnMarenFlavs said...

He is so cute! I can't wait to see you guys in less then a month! Yay!

Tara H. said...

Spencer is so cute! The outfit looks great and if it brings a little peace at church, it's worth it!! The Lord doesn't care so much what you are wearing as long as you are there. :) We were missing you today. I was at the pool with Tiff and the comment was made that you guys were always at the pool, for sure. So we miss seeing you on these hot Tucson days. :)

Amy said...

He takes after his dad! If I remember right, I think Chris hated going to church too! I've given up on caring what my kids look like. It's just not worth the fight! I figure as long as I can get them dressed it's a good day!

Nat said...

I love the look! My sunbeam just started to say that he does not want to go. He cries and screams when we pull into the parking lot. SOme days are better then others.